Lunch recipes for people who don’t usually cook
You can lose weight without starving yourself. You should consume fewer calories than what you burn off in order to effectively lose weight. Keep that in mind when planning your meals.
Common belief holds that a slim person’s metabolism is high and an overweight person’s metabolism is low. But this isn’t usually the case. Metabolism alone doesn’t determine your weight. Weight is dependent on the balance of calories consumed versus calories burned.
Take in more calories than your body needs, and you gain weight. Take in less and you lose weight. Metabolism is the engine that burns these calories and is the scale that regulates your energy needs.
One bowl of cool taco salad
- ½ lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp. taco
- seasoning mix, divided
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat cream cheese, room temp.
- 2 tbsp fat-free sour cream
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 1 c shredded lettuce
- 1 diced tomato
- ¼ c reduced fat shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat until done.
- Drain off any fat. Add water and 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning and simmer for 3 minutes. Removed from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut each pita into eight wedges and place on baking sheet. Bake for seven minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the beef is cooling, combine the remaining taco seasoning, cream cheese, sour cream, and salsa in a small bowl. Mix well. Divide and spread this mixture evenly onto two small plates.
- Spoon a portion of the beef over the sour cream mixture and top each with half the lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
- Place eight baked pita wedges on each plate two servings.
Chicken pita pizza
- 1 whole wheat pita
- ¼ c low fat pizza sauce
- 1 portion cooked chicken, breast sliced
- ¼ red bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ small zucchini, sliced as well
- ¼ reduced-fat shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the pita on a baking sheet.
- Spoon pizza sauce evenly over the pita.
- Top with sliced chicken, peppers, zucchini and cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the pizza is heated through.
- Let it cool for a minute, then slice and eat!
Egg salad sandwich (for one)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp fat free salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- ½ stalk sliced celery
- ¼ chopping red bell pepper
- 1 tsp pickle relish
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 sliced whole grain bread
- 1 lettuce leaf
- ¼ sliced avocado
- Chop the whole egg and discard the yolks from the other three eggs, and chop the whites.
- In a small mixing bowl: combine all ingredients except the bread, lettuce leaf, and avocado.
- Toast the bread and place on a small plate. Top with lettuce, egg salad and avocado slice.
One bowl of oriental chicken salad (four servings)
- 4 portions of cooked chicken (about 1 lb.) in bite size pieces
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 4 chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp light sesame oil
- 1/3 c rice vinegar
- ¼ c lite soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 c crisp Chow mein noodles
- In large mixing bowl: combine cooked chicken, coleslaw mix, and green onions.
- In another small bowl: combine sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger.
- Drizzle over chicken mixture and toss to coat.
- Divide into four portions and top with Chow mein noodles.
One “mile high” baked potato
- 1 medium russet potato
- 2 tsp fat-free chicken broth
- ¼ c low fat cottage cheese
- ¼ c chopped cooked chicken
- ¼ c cooked broccoli
- ¼ c salsa
- 1 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- Stabbity-stab the potato several times with a fork.
- Place it in microwave and cook on high 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Let stand for a minute.
- Use knife to cut an “X” in the top of the cooked potato.
- Press ends slightly to open potato and pour chicken broth into opening.
- Top potato with cottage cheese, chicken, broccoli, and salsa.
- Place filled potato in microwave and cook on high for 30 more seconds.
- Sprinkle top with fresh cilantro.